I Sell My Dreams by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I Sell My Dreams by Gabriel Garcia Marquez One day, while the narrator was having breakfast in the morning at the Havana Riviera Hotel, a gigantic wave crashed down on the shore, picking up and overturning several cars. Under one of smashed cars was found a woman wearing "a gold ring shaped like a serpent, with emerald eyes". That reminded the narrator of "an unforgettable woman", who used to wear "a similar ring on her right forefinger", whom he met thirty-four years earlier in Vienna, which was an old imperial city back then. When she was asked "how had she come to be in a world so distant and different from the windy cliffs of Quindio", she answered "I sell my dreams." Born third of eleven children to a prosperous shopkeeper in old Caldas, selling dreams was her only trade. In her childhood her dreams began to show oracular qualities, and she turned them into a source of earnings. One night, she told the narrator to leave Vienna. ...
Comments
Post a Comment