Conditionals

 

Conditionals

1. First Conditional (Real Future Possibilities)

Used for realistic situations that are likely to happen in the present or future.

  • Formula: If + Simple Present}, \will + Verb
  • Example: If it rains tomorrow, we will cancel the match.

2. Second Conditional (Hypothetical / Unreal Present)

Used for imaginary, unlikely, or impossible situations in the present or future.

  • Formula: If+ Simple Past}, would} + Verb
  • Example: If I won the lottery, I would buy a house.

3. Third Conditional (Unreal Past / Regrets)

Used for hypothetical past events—imagining a different outcome for something that already happened.

  • Formula: If + Past Perfect, would have + Past Participle
  • Example: If she had studied harder, she would have passed the exam.

 

1. First Conditional (Real Future Possibilities)

  1. If you ________ (work) hard, you will pass the exam.
  2. If it ________ (rain) tomorrow, we will stay at home.
  3. If Rohan finishes his homework early, he ________ (play) cricket with us.
  4. If she ________ (not hurry), she will miss the morning train.
  5. If they invite us to the party, we ________ (attend) it.
  6. If the sun ________ (shine) bright, we will go to the beach.
  7. If Piyush ________ (save) enough money, he will buy a new bicycle.
  8. If you drink hot tea, you ________ (feel) much better.
  9. If the teacher comes early, she ________ (start) the lesson immediately.
  10. If we ________ (not leave) now, we will be late for the movie.

2. Second Conditional (Hypothetical / Unreal Present)

  1. If I ________ (have) wings, I would fly around the world.
  2. If he ________ (be) the Prime Minister, he would make education free.
  3. If they lived near the ocean, they ________ (go) swimming every day.
  4. If Amit ________ (know) her phone number, he would call her right now.
  5. If I were you, I ________ (take) the doctor's advice.
  6. If we ________ (win) the lottery, we would build a big hospital.
  7. If the weather ________ (be) pleasant, we would go for a long walk.
  8. If she ________ (speak) French, she would move to Paris.
  9. If Rohan trained every day, he ________ (win) the race easily.
  10. If my parents permitted me, I ________ (adopt) a puppy.

3. Third Conditional (Unreal Past / Regrets)

  1. If you had called me yesterday, I ________ (help) you.
  2. If Rahul ________ (study) harder, he would have cleared the test.
  3. If the driver had applied the brakes in time, the car ________ (not crash).
  4. If she had listened to her parents, she ________ (not make) that mistake.
  5. If we ________ (start) early, we would have avoided the traffic.
  6. If they had invited us, we ________ (attend) the function.
  7. If Neha ________ (save) money, she would have bought that book last week.
  8. If I had known about your illness, I ________ (visit) you in the hospital.
  9. If the rains had come on time, the crops ________ (grow) well.
  10. If he ________ (not miss) the train, he would have reached office on time.

Answer Keys: 

First Conditional: 1. work | 2. rains | 3. will play | 4. does not hurry | 5. will attend | 6. shines | 7. saves | 8. will feel | 9. will start | 10. do not leave 

Second Conditional: 1. had | 2. were / was | 3. would go | 4. knew | 5. would take | 6. won | 7. were / was | 8. spoke | 9. would win | 10. would adopt 

Third Conditional: 1. would have helped | 2. had studied | 3. would not have crashed | 4. would not have made | 5. had started | 6. would have attended | 7. had saved | 8. would have visited | 9. would have grown | 10. had not missed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time and Time Again by A. K. Ramanujan

The Song of Youth by A P J Abdul Kalam

I Sell My Dreams by Gabriel Garcia Marquez